• Email
  • Print


Are there any job openings?

Notices of full time, open competitive examinations are posted on our website and can be accessed via the “Jobs” link. Click on “Jobs” for our currently available positions. If you click on a particular job opening, you will be able to review a description of the job responsibilities, minimum qualifications, method of selection, and the application process for that position.

Can I apply after the closing date if the Town hasn’t hired someone yet?

No. Once a closing date has passed, only those applications completed and submitted prior to the posted deadline will be considered.

Can I submit a resume without an application for employment?

Please follow instructions for the specific recruitment. In some cases, resumes may be accepted initially, but that is subject to definition in the job announcement.

Can I submit an application for employment for a position not currently posted?

No. The Town of West Hartford only accepts applications for employment for positions we are currently recruiting. Some positions require the application for employment be submitted electronically through the on-line application process. Other positions have specific instructions on how to apply. Please follow application instructions defined in the position posting.

How do I apply for a temporary, part time or seasonal positions with the Town of West Hartford?

Temporary, part time or seasonal positions may or may not be posted on the Town’s website. You may contact individual Town departments to inquire about part time employment opportunities. In accordance with the Part Time Employment Administrative Rules, department directors manage the hiring of part time seasonal employees.

How do I apply for the Senior Job Bank?

If you are interested in working through the Town of West Hartford Senior Job Bank, see http://seniorsjobbankct.org/ for more information.

How do I find out what jobs are available at the West Hartford Town Hall?

There are not always full or part-time jobs available, but when they are, they are listed on our website under municipal job openings.

Leisure Services also recruits for part time summer positions and other jobs.

For Seniors, you may also visit the Seniors Job Bank (unaffiliated with West Hartford).

Other Volunteer opportunities are also available.

How do I know if my electronic application has been submitted successfully?

You will receive a confirmation notice as soon as you click on “Submit Application.” If you don’t receive the notice, check your spam filter to see if the notice was caught there. If you still don’t see the notice, double-check to see if you submitted the application properly. If you still are having difficulty, go to “Request Technical Help” at the bottom of the electronic application webpage.

How long is an open position posted?

The length of time a position is open varies depending upon the needs of the hiring department. However, some recruitment processes are open continuous, meaning there is no fixed closing date for applications to be received for review and consideration. Please refer to the job posting for specific details of a recruitment process.

How will I be notified of the status of my application?

All correspondence concerning your application for employment shall be via e-mail. Please make sure your e-mail address is accurate in your application. Upon completion of your electronic application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please ensure your spam filter is set so as not to exclude this e-mail.

If I applied for a position with the Town of West Hartford, but am interested in a position with the West Hartford Public Schools, do I need to fill out a separate application?

Yes. For positions with the West Hartford Public Schools, please refer to their webpage athttp://www.applitrack.com/whps/onlineapp/jobpostings/view.asp

If I don’t need to complete an electronic application, where can I get a regular job application?

Please refer to the Jobs page on the website for the application instructions that are listed in each announcement.

Is there a residency requirement to work for the Town of West Hartford?

No. The Town of West Hartford does not have a residency requirement in order to be employed by the Town.

What departments hire for summer jobs?

Town departments may or may not have summer employment opportunities. The Department of Human and Leisure Services and the Department of Public Works oftentimes have temporary, summer employment opportunities. Please contact those offices directly for further information about summer opportunities.

What do I do if I need an accommodation to complete an application or take the employment examination?

Please contact the Department of Employee Services at (860) 561-7488 to speak with a representative.

What if I don’t have access to a computer or need assistance completing the online application, what do I do?

Individuals who do not have access to a computer may visit one of our Town libraries for access.

What if I have a problem completing the on-line application? Who do I contact?

Please go to “Request Technical Help” at the bottom of the electronic application webpage.

What should I do if I’m interested in more than one job?

Please follow instructions for the various job announcements. Generally, a separate application will be required for each job you apply for. Please note for the electronic application process, you will be able to access your previously completed application, update the application materials and electronically submit it for the new position.

Where do I get working papers?

If you are 16 years old and have an employer’s written promise of employment, you should take your written job offer along with proof of age (such as a birth certificate, baptismal certificate, or passport) and go to the public high school in your home town, or contact the Office of Superintendent of Schools in your home town. Under State of Connecticut, Department of Labor regulations, you must have working papers before you start to work.

Where is the Department of Human Resources located?

The Department of Human Resources is located on the second floor of Town Hall, Room 221, 50 South Main Street, West Hartford, CT   06107.

Will the Town consider my application if it is only partially completed?

No. Only completed and submitted applications for employment will be considered.