• Email
  • Print

Absentee Ballots

Please click here first for updated emergency information.

If you are a member of the military or a family member and you plan to be overseas, you may be eligible for an      electronic ballot click here to apply.

Absentee ballots are available to eligible voters any time during the year for any election, primary or referendum, and are available through the Town Clerk's Office.

If a registered voter is unable to vote in person on Election Day, they may apply to the Town Clerk for an absentee ballot for any of the following reasons:  

  • Absence from the Town during all of the hours of voting 
  • Illness    
  • Physical disability
  • Active service in the armed forces
  • Duties as an election official at a polling place
  • Religious tenets 

The issuance of an absentee ballot is a two-step process. You may obtain an application at the Town Clerk’s Office or download one below if it is for your own use, or the use of a member of your immediate family. If you wish to distribute five (5) or more absentee ballot applications to persons other than your immediate family, you must register with, and obtain forms from, the Town Clerk before distributing them.

Application for Absentee Ballot - To download the application and print, please make sure your printer is set to print the full page, which may require setting adjustments. Each person who applies for an application must sign it with an original signature. (Parents cannot sign for their child, nor can spouses sign for each other.) Applications may be faxed or emailed, however a hard copy with an original signature must be received in the Town Clerk's office in order for your vote to count.  Please complete all information legibly.

Solicitud de Papeletas de Voto Ausente

Military personnel and persons temporarily living overseas may submit a Federal Post Card Application to register & apply for an Absentee Ballot.  For information regarding the Electronic Transmission Service email: ets@fvap.gov.  For any UOCAVA related questions email: vote@fvap.gov.

Please mail all completed applications as soon as possible to:

Town Clerk's Office
Room 313
50 South Main Street
West Hartford, CT 06107

After the completed application is returned to us, we will send a ballot and instructions to you as soon as State law allows, which is generally about a month prior to the scheduled vote. We must receive the voted ballot back in our office by election day in order for the vote to count. 

The Town Clerk is responsible for supervising and distributing these ballots. For more information, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at (860) 561-7430, or the Registrar of Voter's Office at (860) 561-7450.

Absence or inability to vote in person does not mean that you must forfeit your right to vote!