Town of West Hartford Vision Zero Initiative
First implemented in Sweden, cities and towns across the United States are committing to Vision Zero. Vision Zero is premised on the fundamental principle that loss of life and serious injury from traffic crashes is unacceptable, yet acknowledges that while people make mistakes, the Town’s roadway network should be designed to ensure that those inevitable mistakes do not result in severe injuries or deaths.
On January 10, 2023, the Town of West Hartford Town Council unanimously adopted the Vision Zero Initiative in Support of Safe, Health and Equitable Mobility with the goal of eliminating fatalities and severe injuries on West Hartford streets by 2033.
The Town’s Vision Zero Initiative supports the following five principles:
- Deaths and serious injuries caused by traffic crashes are preventable;
- Human life and health should be prioritized in all transportation systems and in all aspects of transportation planning and design;
- Human error is inevitable and transportation systems should be forgiving;
- Transportation planning should focus on system-level changes to influence all individual’s behavior; and
- Speed is a highly important factor in crash severity
Vision Zero is bold, aspirational and reinforces that we need shifts in thinking, planning, prioritizing and taking action. Our residents and visitors deserve to be safe as they move about Town, whether walking, bicycling, driving or taking public transit, and it is our responsibility to ensure conditions for such safety.
|STAFF TASK FORCE MEMBERS||RESIDENT TASK FORCE MEMBERS|
|DC Mark Bassett, Deputy Fire Chief||Sandy Castellon|
|Adrienne Billings-Smith, Equity Coordinator||Tom Condon|
|Eric Dency, Director of Security (WHPS)||Erin Conneely|
|Rick Ledwith, Town Manager||Mary Donegan|
|Duane Martin, Director of Community Development||Shana Gibbs|
|Renée McCue, Public Relations Specialist||Elizabeth Hanlon|
|John Phillips, Director of Public Works||Karen Harrington|
|Greg Sommer, Town Engineer||Ed Pawlak|
|AC Larry Terra, Assistant Police Chief||Jay Stange|