WHPS Culture of Conservation
What you can do to help! Energy Saving Actions and Activities
- Turn lights off when not needed.
- Unplug appliances that may draw energy even if they are turned off (e.g., TVs, computers, phone chargers, speakers).
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LEDs.
- Close windows and doors when heat is on, especially at recess and drop off/pick up.
- Make sure heating vents, especially unit ventilators under the windows, are not blocked by books and furniture.
- Assign a "light monitor" (whose job it is to turn off lights when class leaves the room) as a classroom job.
- Walk around your building/classroom to identify things left on; leave reminder notes to turn them off.
- Count the number of energy-using appliances in your classroom; see if any can be eliminated.
- Have a school competition to make the best energy saving poster/sign, video, animation, skit or powerpoint.
- Have your students brainstorm a project to save energy in your building; Have them develop it by calculating the project cost, energy savings, and payback. Send us the project, and Plant & Faciltities will review it.
- Have students start the day by completing the sentence: "Today, I will save energy by...."
- Read a book or poem about saving energy to your class.
- Have students calculate their home/personal carbon footprint using a calculator like: www.epa.gov.
- Research or visit other "energy saving" or "green school" websites and see what other ideas you can come up with!
- Share your ideas. Email us, and we can ideas add to this list.