Learn to Skate
Due to COVID-19 and US Figure skating limitations our class offerings will be limited for session of our Learn to Skate Program. We will be offering two group skating clinic sessions for mobile skaters age 6 and up. Classes are Wednesdays 3:15 - 4:00 pm, and Fridays 4:00 - 4:45 pm, Click here to register online
The Rink's Learn to Skate program is dedicated to providing quality instruction. The development of strong fundamental skills will make ice skating fun for the recreational skater and prepares serious skaters for future figure skating and hockey. Classes meet once a week but eager students may register for more than one class at a time.
The Program Supervisor and instructors keep a close eye on and record the progress of each student, to ensure the best possible results. At the end of the class cycle each participant receives a Certificate of Achievement outlining all the skills they have accomplished successfully.
Register for VMSR Learn to Skate lessons and receive 10% off your new skate purchase in the RinkSide Pro Shop. Present registration receipt to pro shop to receive your discount.
If you choose to rent skates for Learn to Skate lessons, VMSR offers a skate rental discount card. Pay $30 for 10 rentals - $1 discount for each rental!
- Classes will be cancelled when West Hartford Public Schools are cancelled or dismissed early due to weather.
- There are no make-ups for missed classes.
- Registration is only accepted into the third week of a cycle.
- Registration fees include all costs except skate rental.
- All fees are non refundable.
- A refund will be automatic if a session is cancelled.
- To avoid classed being cancelled at the last minute due to under enrollment, cancellations
and refund requests must be made three (3) business days before the program begins.
- All refund requests must be made in writing.
- Refunds will not be given on trips, special events, season tickets or passes.
- A 10% processing fee will be deducted from all refund requests not accompanied
by a physician's note.
- No refunds can be given after a program has begun.
- How old does my child need to be to take lessons?
- What should I/my child wear for lessons?
- Which type of skates are appropriate?
- Can I go on the ice with my child?
- If my child misses a lesson (illness, vacation, etc.), can they have a make-up lesson?
- Are lessons held during school vacation?
- Are lessons cancelled when WHPS close or have an early dismissal for snow? Will I be reimbursed?
- If I start classes late, will they be prorated?
- Are lesson fees refundable?
- How long are the classes?
- Who teaches the lessons?
- What will happen the first day of class?
- How do I know if my child has moved from a waiting list into the class?
- How fast will my child progress through the program?