Leaf Collection & Vouchers
Each fall the Town of West Hartford offers residential properties a bagged leaf collection program for weekly pickup, weather permitting. Leaves will also be collected when placed in a marked Yard Waste cart purchased through the Town. Yard Waste barrels may be purchased online here.
Each week on your regular refuse collection day crews will collect only leaves bagged in 30 gallon biodegradable paper bags placed at the curb or leaves placed in the specially marked cart. Below is a general list of guidelines covering our collection program.
The Town of West Hartford will soon improve and streamline its Residential Leaf Voucher system. Leaf vouchers allow private contractors to dispose of leaves from residential properties at the Town’s Yard Waste and Recycling Center free of charge. Residents using the voucher system should only be charged for the cost of transporting their leaves for disposal and for the labor charges associated with cleaning their property.
The online process is simple and easy. Fill out the online form and click submit!
The form asks for the resident’s name, address and contractor’s information. Once the information is submitted, it will be available to the staff at the Yard Waste and Recycling Center. No paperwork is necessary.
Private contractors will be required to provide the Yard Waste and Recycling Center with the name and address of their residential customer represented on the voucher. Leaves cannot be disposed without a valid voucher. Vouchers are valid for ten (10) business days from receipt.
After 10 days, the resident would need to reapply for a new voucher which gives the contractor permission to make another disposal of leaves from their property. This process would be repeated throughout the nine-week leaf collection season.
Residents may use as many vouchers as needed during the 9-week collection period but must obtain the
voucher prior to the contracted work. This year’s collection period runs from October 28 through December 27, 2020.
Contractors should note the program is for leaves only. Loads with material other than leaves, including
sticks and brush, are subject to rejection.
- Town Hall, 50 South Main Street, Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-4:30 PM
- Public Works, 17 Brixton Street, Monday-Friday, 7:30 AM-3:30 PM
- Yard Waste and Recycling Center, 25 Brixton Street, Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM-4:30 PM, and on Saturday, 8:00 AM-1:00 PM
- West Hartford Senior Center (Bishops Corner), 15 Starkel Road, Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-4:
- Elmwood Senior Center, 1106 New Britain Avenue, Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-4:30 PM
- Noah Webster Library, 20 South Main Street, Monday-Thursday, 10:00 AM-9:00 PM, Friday 10:00 AM and 5:00 PM, and Saturday, 10:00 AM-5:00 PM
- Faxon Branch Library, 1073 New Britain Avenue, Monday and Wednesday, 1:00-8:00 PM; Tuesday and Thursday, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM, and Friday and Saturday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Bishops Corner Branch Library, 15 Starkel Road, Monday and Wednesday, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM, Tuesday 1:00-8:00 PM, Thursday, 10:00 AM-5:00 PM, and Friday and Saturday, 10:00 AM-2: