Parks Pest Management and Pesticide Use
Scheduled Pesticide Applications
The table below includes a schedule of upcoming pesticide and herbicide applications. *The list is updated to provide at least 24-hour notice for applications. Public Works staff make every effort to notify the community on this webpage when a pesticide application is scheduled in a public area. Dates of applications may change or be cancelled due to weather; also, occasional emergency applications may be needed.
On-site Signage Procedures
- White prenotification signs are placed in advance of an application to playing fields, managed turf and treatments within 25 feet of a stream or creek. The signs list the planned application date, product and the reason for the application.
- Yellow signs are installed at the site at the time of application and remain in place at least 48 hours following the pesticide application. For more information, call the phone number listed on the back of the sign.
Please contact the Department of Public Works if you have any questions at 860-561-8100.
Application Date Range
|Area To Be Treated||Application Details|
|Landscape Beds||4/12-4/22||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||Townwide||Crew Pre – Emergent Granular Herbicide|
|Hall High School||4/26-4/29||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||Athletic Fields||Fertilizer with Dimension 0.1%|
|Conard High School||4/26-4/29||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||Athletic Fields||Fertilizer with Dimension 0.1%|
|5/12-5/13||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||Athletic Fields||Country Club 30-0-10 .067% Acelepryn .253% Dim 150 SGN|
|Sterling Fields||5/12-5/13||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||Athletic Fields||Country Club 30-0-10 .067% Acelepryn .253% Dim 150 SGN|
|Townwide||5/17-5/20||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||Traffic Islands & Landscape Beds||Cheeta Pro and Sureguard Herbicide|
|5/19-5/20||6:30 am - 2:30 pm||School Parameter||Round Up for Poison Ivy|
|Hall High School||Asphalt areas and Fence Line around Stadium||Cheetah Pro and Sure Guard Herbicide|
- What are pests and why must they be managed?
- What is Integrated Pest Management (IPM)?
- What are pesticides?
- When and where are pesticides used?
- What alternative methods are used to manage pests?
- What areas in West Hartford are pesticide-free?
- How is West Hartford using integrated pest management to maintain athletic fields?
- How do you manage the risk as an employer directing employees to use chemicals that have safety concerns?
- After an application, how long should residents stay away from an area where a chemical has been applied? What is the basis for this guidance? How is this information provided to a person who comes into an area where a chemical has been applied?