Yard Waste Collection
Yard Waste Collection begins the week of April 5th, 2021
On April 5, 2021, The Department of Public Works will commence its Yard Waste Collection. Yard Waste Collection follows current bi-weekly residential recycling collection days. Residents must put their yard waste out by 6:00 am on their recycling day. The program runs until the end of October.
Yard waste is defined as:
- Pine needles
- Pine cones
- Dead plant matter
Acceptable Yard Waste presentation:
- 30-gallon biodegradable brown bags
- Bundled branches and brush up to 4 inches in diameter and up to 4 feet in length accepted ONLY if bundled with organic twine
- Brown barrels (95 gallon barrels available for purchase - see details below)
- Bundles tied with wire, nylon, or plastic (these items harm grinding equipment)
- Yard waste bags contaminated with rocks, soil, grass clippings
- Bags and bundled material LONGER than 4 feet
- Bags and bundled material weighing MORE than 40 pounds
Brown Barrels can be purchase for $73.12
- Order online and pay by credit card
- Call DPW at 860-561-8100 to order over the phone
- Stop by 17 Brixton Street during normal business hours, Monday through Friday 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Cash or check is accepted.
Yard waste is NOT permitted in Trash carts. Separating Yard Waste from the green trash barrels greatly reduces the volume of trash sent to regional trash facilities and reduces the amount of methane gas released into the atmosphere. It’s a great way for West Hartford residents to contribute to West Hartford’s environmental sustainability efforts.