If you are a West Hartford resident aged 60+ and/or with a disability, you may be eligible for FREE services provided by a screened and trained volunteer. Some of the programs we offer are Friendly Visitor, Grocery Shopper, Medical Escort Transportation, Telephone Companion and Food Pantry Services. All inquiries are confidential. Our goal is to provide you with support to help maintain your independence. Income guidelines do apply. For more information, please contact Barbara Roberts at 860-561-7567.
Volunteer programs are a vital part of our community. Below is a list of volunteer opportunities within West Hartford Social Services – Volunteer Services.
The following programs benefit seniors aged 60+ and/or residents with a disability, and who are homebound. These programs allow the individuals to maintain their independence and stay in their homes for as long as possible.
- Food Pantry Home Delivery Driver – Volunteers deliver food bags to residents who are unable to pick up food at town hall.
- Friendly Visitor – Volunteers provide residents with friendship, socialization and support through regular home visits.
- Grocery Shopper – Volunteers shop and deliver weekly for residents.
- Medical Escort Driver – Volunteers drive seniors who do not have transportation to local, routine medical appointments.
- Telephone Companion – Volunteers make weekly phone calls providing residents with friendly conversation.
Opportunities at the Hillcrest Area Neighborhood Outreach Center (HANOC)
- Youth Tutor– High school students and adults tutor students in the K-8 After-School Homework Program.
- Adult Tutor – Volunteers work one-on-one with adults or in a small group setting on various skills such as ESOL, basic computer knowledge, citizenship and parent/child playgroup.
Opportunities in the West Hartford Food Pantry (must be 18 or older)
- Volunteers sort, date check and shelve donated food items.
- Volunteers distribute food bags outside town hall during our weekly curbside distributions.
- Volunteers assemble pre-packed food bags.
- Community members can organize food drives to benefit the food pantry. (no age requirement)
To learn more about any of these volunteer positions, please contact Barbara Roberts at 860 561-7567 or Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org. For more opportunities outside of Social Services, please visit the Town of West Hartford’s Volunteer webpage.