Getting Married in West Hartford?
Marriage licenses must be obtained in the town that the marriage is performed in. In order to obtain a marriage license in the Town of West Hartford, there is a two-step process:
On the day of your appointment, please bring a valid photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport. The cost for a marriage license is $50.00. Each certified copy is $20.00. A certified copy is your legal proof of marriage and is required by Social Security Administration and the Department of Motor Vehicles to process a name change. We accept cash, check or card (convenience fee applies).
Name Changes after Marriage
Social Security Administration (SSA) processes name changes with a certified copy of the marriage license. There is no provision in Connecticut General Statutes that allow Town Clerks to perform this service. However, you can access the necessary form to submit to SSA along with a certified copy of your marriage license.
For those looking for an officiant, we are happy to provide a list of West Hartford Justices of the Peace. Arrangements can be made directly with the Justice you select. Please see our list of Justices of the Peace and included contact information. Anyone who has become ordained, either through a traditional religious organization or online is also authorized to perform marriages.
For further information, please call the Town Clerk’s Office at (860) 561-7430 or see our marriage FAQ’s below.
- What is the process to obtain a marriage license in West Hartford?
- What documentation is required in order to obtain a marriage license?
- Where do we get our marriage license?
- Can we get married at Town Hall when we come in to get our license?
- Is there a space at the Town Hall to use/rent for a marriage ceremony?
- Is there a waiting period to obtain a marriage license?
- If our wedding date is rescheduled, do we need to reapply?
- Are we required to provide proof of dissolution of marriage?
- Are we required to provide a blood test when applying for a marriage license?
- We were married in another country; can we file our marriage license at Town Hall?
- How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license once I am married?
- Where can I obtain a copy of my marriage license once I am married?
- Do both persons have to be present when getting a marriage license?
- Can I obtain a marriage license virtually?