Main Menu

Explore More

West Hartford

Getting Married in West Hartford?

Please note that the marriage license must be requested in the town that the marriage will occur (not the town of residence).

In order to receive a marriage license you must complete an application online.  Once the application is completed, you must complete a request for an appointment to receive your license. Click here for the request form.  

On your appointment day, please arrive on time and at the Main entrance of the Town Hall. Upon entering the building, please let the Greeter know that you have an appointment at the Town Clerk’s office.  Bring with you the original license or passport that you had sent in with your application.  The cost for a marriage license is $50.00 and a certified copy $20.00.  We only accept cash or a check for the exact amount.

A certified copy is required by Social Security and Department of Motor Vehicles to make a name change. 

The Town Clerk's office is frequently asked whether our staff is responsible for legal name changes after marriage. Social Security Administration (SSA) processes name changes with a certified copy of the marriage license.There are no provisions with the Connecticut Statutes to allow Town Clerks to perform this service. However, if you click here you can access the necessary form to submit to SSA along with a certified copy of your marriage license.

We are happy to provide the couple with a list of West Hartford Justices of the Peace. Arrangements can be made directly with the Justice you select. Please see our list of Justices of the Peace.

Anyone who has become ordained, either through a traditional religious organization or online, is authorized to perform marriages.

For further information, please call the Town Clerk’s Office at 860- 561-7430.